Thursday, July 1, 2010

Women in business:Zim women making it

as i was reading the standard this week, i was facinated by this story about how women are making it in business. our own Zimbabwean women are taking over. you may want to read this story.

Kiri strives to inspire women in business
Saturday, 27 March 2010 18:18
A fitness guru, a cosmetic expert, a former top model and an astute business woman to boot, Kiri Davies is the embodiment of what most women dream of being and few achieve. Born to the Makhaya family in Bulawayo 42 years ago, Kiri was the fifth child in a family of seven girls and one boy. She was educated in Bulawayo and then moved to Harare.
“I was never quite sure of what I wanted to be in life. All I knew was that I wanted to be very successful,” she says of her early ambitions. She may not have known where she was going, but that did not stop her from working hard to get there.
With her looks she turned to modelling at 18 and was a great success. She won a Janet Jackson look-alike contest. She was on the cover of Mahogany, a prestigious lifestyle magazine, in 1986. In the same year she was also voted the top TV model of the year. “I was the Edgars girl. I did all the Edgars ads, fashion shows, everything. They never left me out,” she recalls nostalgically.
Two years later, having realised that her inclinations were firmly rooted in the beauty industry, Kiri left for Europe where she armed herself with diplomas in health, fitness instructing, beauty, grooming and alternative therapy.
Back home, in 1992, she put all her acquired knowledge to use and established Kiri’s Wellness Centre and Gym, which includes a woman’s gym, a sauna and a beauty clinic. “I wanted a place that takes care of all a woman’s wellbeing needs,” she explains.
In 2004 she introduced her own brand of beauty products, the “Deep range by Kiri” “They are products created by a Zimbabwean woman for Zimbabwean women.” She is an advert for her own products. She still looks as though she is in her early 30s. She has won several awards including one for Excellence in Business from the Anointed Women in Business Network.
She went on to produce and present a TV programme on beauty from 2004 to 2008. A very versatile woman, Kiri released a gospel album in 2009. “I am not limited in my outlook and interests,” she confesses. She is also an actress and will be starring in an upcoming film entitled Choices. There are plans to introduce a stress management centre in Harare very soon.
Married and a mother to Chanelle and Jack, Kiri uses breathing exercises to wind down. “I am a very active person and exercises are a major part of my life,” she tells me with a serious face. She lists dancing as one of her hobbies. Action packed movies, Van Damme style, are another indulgence.
She listens to gospel music mostly, but all soul and Rn’B is on her hit list. “R Kelly, Rihanna, I listen to them all. The all time best is Lionel Ritchie. Anything from him is always amazing,” she enthuses. She usually hangs out in coffee shops with friends.
Kiri is unashamedly a glamour queen. “I love Yves St Lauren, which is my favourite clothes designer. I think Giorgio Armani and Gucci are good as well.” She laughs. She is also hooked on designer fragrances. “Paris and White Linen from Estee Lauder are divine, but I usually go for Red Door by Elizabeth Arden,” she confides in me, woman to woman.
She goes on to confirm this impression when I ask her the one thing that she would never leave home without in her handbag. “Make-up and perfume. Those two.” She does not hesitate to answer.
On the joys of being a woman, Kiri is not coy. “Women are more attractive than men. I like to have that advantage over them.” Sisters, go on, use your looks to outshine the brothers (but just keep your self-respect at all times).
A jetsetter, she rubbed shoulders with the rich and famous. “I love soul music and it was wonderful when I met the Commodores when they were on tour in London.” She has also hobnobbed with Tevin Campbell and the Jacksons.
Davies has a deep side to her nature. “I am very involved with my church, Word of Faith. We have a Kingdom Prosperity Business Network and it is my wish to see more women get into entrepreneurship.” There is passion in her voice as she says this.
Kiri has established her own trust called Child of Africa that looks after orphans. She has helped fundraise for the Mayor’s Christmas Cheer Fund and is one of the organisers for the newly-launched Miss Deaf pageant. “It is my dream to see the Miss Deaf become an annual show,” she says. With her ability to achieve what she sets out to, then it is most likely that this will be a reality soon.
Kiri Davies is inspired by Nelson Mandela and Oprah Winfrey to do things for others. “Mandela is a rare character. He is so forgiving, even after all that he has been through. Oprah is motivating and they are both courageous. I really value that trait in anyone’s character. When you have courage, nothing can ever defeat you.” She explains her fascination with the two personalities.
It is those two who have shaped Kiri’s own motto in life. It is a perfect summary of how she has achieved her incredible accomplishments. “I always strive to inspire others. I think we should all help each other to be the best that we can be.”

link to the story:

http://www.thestandard.co.zw/entertainment/23869-kiri-strives-to-inspire-women-in-business.html

No comments:

Post a Comment